Marty’s the sort of intrepid ‘journeyman’ who unearths all sorts of things.
Recently, Marty found himself in possession of some interesting books and items from the days of faith. He’d like to share a couple of his findings with you:
Prayer for the Conversion of New Zealand
O God, who has appointed Mary, Help of Christians, St Francis Xavier and St Teresa of the Infant Jesus, Patrons of New Zealand, grant that through their intercession our brethren outside the Church may receive the light of faith, so that New Zealand may become one in Faith under one Shepherd. Through Jesus Christ Our Lord. Amen. Mary, Help of Christians, pray for us. St Francis Xavier, pray for us. St Teresa of the Infant Jesus, pray for us.
Imprimatur, Jacobus M. Liston, Aucopoli, die 28 februarii, 1949.
Ever seen (or heard) that before? I thought not.
But it doesn’t end there! Please be upstanding for Exhibit (b), a list of common prayers with indulgences attached:
- Angelus/Regina Coeli: 10 years each recitation
- Memorare: 3 years (plenary, under the usual conditions, if said daily for one month)
- an Act of Contrition: 3 years
- an Act of Faith, Hope or Charity (there are prayers for each of these): 3 years
- the Prayers after Low Mass: 10 years
- the Sacred Heart versicle: 7 years
- the Holy Rosary: 5 years for 5 decades, 10 if recited with others (plenary, under the usual conditions, if recited in front of the Blessed Sacrament)
There are so many more, it’s amazing. All are, to my knowledge, still in force.
I could go on, but that should be enough to go on with. I can add more if anyone is interested.